July HOA Newsletter
Grand Lake Book Club: Hood Feminism
MONDAY, AUGUST 22, 2022 AT 7 PM
Our August Book club book! 7 pm at the clubhouse on Monday, August 22nd. Book description below.
Today’s feminist movement has a glaring blind spot, and paradoxically, it is women. Mainstream feminists rarely talk about meeting basic needs as a feminist issue, argues Mikki Kendall, but food insecurity, access to quality education, safe neighborhoods, a living wage, and medical care are all feminist issues. All too often, however, the focus is not on basic survival for the many, but on increasing privilege for the few. That feminists refuse to prioritize these issues has only exacerbated the age-old problem of both internecine discord and women who rebuff at carrying the title. Moreover, prominent white feminists broadly suffer from their own myopia with regard to how things like race, class, sexual orientation, and ability intersect with gender. How can we stand in solidarity as a movement, Kendall asks, when there is the distinct likelihood that some women are oppressing others?
In her searing collection of essays, Mikki Kendall takes aim at the legitimacy of the modern feminist movement, arguing that it has chronically failed to address the needs of all but a few women. Drawing on her own experiences with hunger, violence, and hypersexualization, along with incisive commentary on reproductive rights, politics, pop culture, the stigma of mental health, and more, Hood Feminism delivers an irrefutable indictment of a movement in flux. An unforgettable debut, Kendall has written a ferocious clarion call to all would-be feminists to live out the true mandate of the movement in thought and in deed.
Pool Gate Update
The magnet lock for the pool gate is currently broken along with the magnetic lock for the bathroom door. The board has a quote to get it fixed, but the repairs will take some time. To keep the gate temporarily secure we added a functional door knob that will keep the gate closed. There is no lock on the gate until the repairs can be completed. Please be extra watchful of children around the gate.
Common Area Reminder
The board would like to remind all residents that the area around the lake is a common area for all residents to enjoy. This post is to notify all residents that if you have any property on the common area, that is a violation of the covenants. There will be an official notice mailed, but we wanted to let you know that any watercraft not properly marked or stored by August 12th, 2022 is subject to removal. Properly marked means your house number is clearly visible on the watercraft. Proper storage is either tied up in the lake, clear of debris/water with a cover, or stored on your property. Regarding property (swings, chairs, fire pits, etc.), starting August 12th, those are subject to violation notices and a fine schedule. More to come on this, but we wanted to provide as much notice as possible so you have the opportunity to correct it. Thank you, your HOA board.
Pool Season Reminders
During pool season the board would like to remind all residents to be familiar with the pool rules and to treat each other kindly while at the pool.
Pool Hours are:
Sunday – Thursday – to 10 pm
Friday – Saturday – to 11 pm
- Swim at your own risk. No lifeguard on duty.
- Keep gates closed and locked at all times. Do not prop open.
- No running, horseplay, or foul language.
- No Diving
- No Smoking or Alcohol in the pool area.
- Swim Diapers are required for infants and toddlers.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- No pets are allowed in the pool area for any reason.
- No glass containers or bottles are allowed on the pool deck.
- All members are responsible for cleaning up after themselves. Any items left at the pool may be discarded by the HOA.
- Proper swimming attire is required at all times.
- No more than 4 guests per member without prior approval from the pool committee. All guests must be accompanied by a Grand Lake Homeowner.
- You must have your key fob to enter the pool.
- If you are the last one to leave the pool, please make sure the gate is closed.
- Observe all pool rules posted at the pool. We have no lifeguard on duty. Swim at your own risk. There is a first aid kit in the women’s restroom, as well as a fire extinguisher.
As a reminder to the community, it is very important to submit a proper ARC Request for any Improvements or changes to your property. Adding a Fence to your property also requires an ARC request. Additionally, the community guidelines detail the allowed stain colors for fences. Residents can find the Fencing Guidelines listed on our Residents page. Residents can submit an ARC request through the AppFolio Portal provided by Elite Housing Management. Residents should also remember to read the Grand Lake covenants as it pertains to street parking.
Residents can submit an ARC request through the AppFolio Portal provided by Elite Housing Management.
2022 Board Members:
Teddy Schell (President)
Jason Sowash (Vice President)
Ela Perry (Treasurer)
Steven Lowder (Secretary)
Sam Hilson (Communication)